Thursday, September 20, 2007

Rejection, rejection, rejection

I'm on the hunt for a new literary agent right now. The search is exciting and distressing. So far I've gotten 3 rejections (out of 11 queries) and though I keep reminding myself that it's likely at least 95% of all those approached will come back with a "no thanks," I can't help but lie awake at night and wonder if this is the beginning of the end.

But of course it's not. Rejection is an integral part of every writer's life. And when I'm offering up a project that's edgy and wicked and chock-full of vulgarities, well, let's just say I do expect rejection.

I know someone is absolutely going to love this. Because surely there's someone out there who can appreciate my way with dirty words...right?

It was Jacqueline Susann who said: "As a writer no one's gonna tell me how to write, I'm gonna write the way I wanna write!"

By the way, Valley of the Dolls is oft-considered the bestselling book of all time.

Cheers!


No comments: