Thursday, September 15, 2005

Bright Light City Gonna Set My Soul...Gonna Set My Soul On Fire

This will be my last post for who knows how long, because tomorrow I am setting out for the great westward yonder and after that, setting out for something even more frightening--a full-time, permanent job. Huh, so what's so frightening about that, you ask? Well...it's been more than a year since I've had one and all that leisure time (ahem, sloth) has made me forget what it's really like to get up every day and go somewhere, and actually have to put a little effort into something other than deciding what to eat for lunch and if I'd rather watch reruns of The Nanny or The X-Files, and actually have to pay to keep living in my living environment. Woe is me, I know. And at the age of 30 it's high time that I "remember" these things.

I have two major concerns about settling down in Las Vegas and no--one isn't that I'm going to have to take a second job to pay for my gambling expenses. But one is that I might have to take a second job to pay for the weekends I'll surely spend with friends who are entertaining the ruse of visiting me when they're actually visiting Las Vegas. And the other is that after a while, I'll start to dislike all the things I like about Vegas because it will become mainplace. Just like Hollywood became mainplace when I lived there, and suddenly everything that had attracted me to it made me want to get away from it fast. Those concerns aside, I've always wanted to live there...so why worry about it. What made living in Hollywood spectacular was that I'd always wanted to live there, too--and just because I couldn't find anywhere to park for 4 years didn't diminish everything that was filthy-lovely about it. There will never be another view to replace the one that was seen from my balcony four stories above Sunset Boulevard, either.

In writing-related news, I was a little thrown to find out my grandmother has mistaken the title of my science fiction epic for Deliverance and been lauding it under this title accordingly to all my relatives. Its title is not, actually, Deliverance. Ahem.

In reading-related news, I'm this close to being done with Hand-Me-Down and when I'm done, probably won't be reading much of anything because I neglected to separate the books I wanted to start reading from the books I've already read when I packed. I'm very much enjoying Hand-Me-Down but have been a little surprised to find that the story is less about Anne getting together with Ian and more about Anne herself. Which is sweet, but which makes me realize that back cover descriptions aren't always telling the whole story. So now I kind of get it.

Anyway, I guess that's enough talking about me for now, or, er, I'm hungry and want to watch TV?

Until Nevada, then. :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

'E.T. blog home!'
We are giving bloggers the opportunity to send a piece of their lives into space to potentially connect with extraterrestrials, said Ted Murphy, president and CEO of the Florida-based firm MindComet.
Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!

I have a spa chemicals site/blog. It pretty much covers
spa chemicals related stuff.

Come and check it out if you get time :-)

Gabrielle said...

I know just how you feel about liking/disliking a place, but I hope things don't get too mainplace for you in Vegas. And I hear you on now having to get up and go to work. I didn't work for over a year, and had a blast. But I lost focus, so that's *one* good thing about a job.

Enjoy your road trip!